Strata collective sales advocacy service
The Strata Collective Sales Advocacy Service offers free legal information, advice and assistance to owner occupiers of strata units and townhouses in NSW.
We can advise on:
- Rights and obligations of people affected by the collective sale or redevelopment of strata blocks;
- General advice about how strata schemes work, including meeting procedures;
- Advice about how strata schemes can issue notices and penalties relating to a breach of by-laws (the ‘rules’ for the strata complex).a
Where we are unable to assist we will refer you to the most appropriate service to get advice.
Who can we help?
- All people who own or occupy a lot in a strata scheme located in NSW; and
- Community workers provided there is no conflict of interest
What is collective sale/redevelopment?
A strata block can now be sold or redeveloped through a ‘strata renewal’ process. At least 75% of lot owners must agree to the proposed sale or redevelopment, and certain conditions must be met. For the collective sale or redevelopment to go ahead, the NSW Land and Environment Court must approve the strata renewal plan and be satisfied that owners are being fairly compensated.
How to organise advice
You can call Marrickville Legal Centre on 02 9559 2899.
You can drop in to the centre at 338 Illawarra Rd, Marrickville to organise a time for an appointment. We are open Monday to Friday from 9.30am to 5pm (closed between 1 and 2pm for lunch).
Community legal education
We can provide training and education sessions on request for community groups and organisations. Please contact us if this is of interest!
Seniors Rights Service - seniorsrightsservice.org.au
NSW Fair Trading Strata Hotline - stratalaws.nsw.gov.au or refer to the Collective sale and renewal page on the Fair Trading website for more detailed information about the stages of the process and the conditions that apply
Office of the Registrar General (ORG) – www.lpi.nsw.gov.au/registrar_general (ORG is the NSW government agency responsible for administering the strata renewal laws).