An opportunity is available to join Marrickville Legal Centre’s dynamic team delivering better and fairer outcomes for people who experience Domestic, Family & Sexual Violence.
Level: MLC Band 5-7
Reports to: Managing Principal Solicitor/Assistant Principal Solicitor
Staff Management: Paralegals, PLTs, volunteers
Type/Hours: Part-time, 35 hours per week.
Fixed-term, September 2022 to September 2023, with option to extend subject to funding.
Marrickville Legal Centre offers free legal advice and assistance to the community of the inner-west, south-west, southern suburbs of Sydney, and beyond. There are 1.5 million people living in our key catchment: that’s 30 percent of Sydney’s total population.
Marrickville Legal Centre solicitors provide access to justice through the provision of legal services, law reform and community legal education, particularly for people who are disadvantaged by their social and economic circumstances.
This position is specifically for the provision of legal services (legal advice, casework, and representation) in the area of family law, for victim-survivors of family, domestic and sexual violence.
Given the multiple and complex issues confronted by people affected by family violence, this position may also at times be required to be able to provide basic information and advice in civil law matters related to an individual’s experience of family violence, e.g. apprehended domestic violence orders and victims compensation.
The position will be based primarily at MLC’s Marrickville office. This position will also involve regular travel to outreach locations across metropolitan Sydney, and out-of- hours work to assist in delivering community legal education and regular evening advice clinics.
- Admitted as a Solicitor of the Supreme Court of NSW.
- Post Admission Experience – 1-3 years.
- 12 months experience in family law.
- Experience dealing with family law disputes, legally assisted mediations, drafting consent orders and preparing briefs to counsel, agents and Pro Bono solicitors as required.
- Sound judgment and outstanding analytical and contractual skills.
- Strong commercial acumen and pragmatic approach to all work
- Proactive and independent attitude and result-oriented approach.
- Flexible, adaptable, able to challenge the status quo, and the ability to work as a team to deliver the best possible outcome for the community.
- Ability to present complex legal and other information clearly, accurately and in a way that can be understood by our clients.
About Marrickville Legal Centre’s goals
Marrickville Legal Centre’s vision is to promote social justice through the provision of free and accessible legal and related services to people who experience social and economic disadvantage. Each and every team member has a role to contribute to our strategic pillars:
- For all people: We’re proud to stand alongside individuals who are disadvantaged by our justice system, helping them toward better & fairer outcomes.
- For progress: We work with community partners to make sure the voices of disadvantaged people are heard in the processes that lead to policy reform.
- For working together: We are proud to bring people together to promote justice and protect human rights.
- For lasting change: We aim to resolve any immediate legal issues, and to link our clients to resources and services that will support them towards positive and lasting change in their lives, and in our community.