An opportunity is available to join Marrickville Legal Centre’s dynamic community legal team delivering better and fairer outcomes in the area of Criminal, Traffic and Intentional Torts Law.
Position title: Criminal/Traffic Lawyer
Level: MLC Level 4 – 6 depending on prior experience
Reports to: Managing Principal Solicitor
Staff Management: N/A
Marrickville Legal Centre offers free legal advice and assistance to the community of the inner-west, south-west, southern suburbs of Sydney, and beyond. There are 1.5 million people living in our key catchment: that’s 30 percent of Sydney’s total population.
Marrickville Legal Centre solicitors provide access to justice through the provision of legal services, law reform and community legal education, particularly for people who are disadvantaged by their social and economic circumstances.
This position is specifically for the provision of legal services (legal advice, casework and representation) in the area of Criminal, Traffic and Intentional Torts Law. The position will be expected to field initial enquiries from junior lawyers, secondees, volunteers and PLTs conducting work in the area of Criminal, Traffic Law and Intentional Torts. You may be required to perform work outside of these areas from time to time.
The role will be based primarily at the Marrickville Legal Centre’s office at Illawarra Road or Addison Road, Marrickville. Duty lawyer work will also be undertaken at Sutherland Local Court (Wednesday) and Burwood Local Court (Thursday) on domestic violence list days. This position will also involve regular travel to outreach locations across metropolitan Sydney, including various courts around Sydney, and out-of-hours work to assist in delivering community legal education and regular evening advice clinics.
- Admitted as a Solicitor of the Supreme Court of NSW.
- Post Admission Experience – 3 – 5 years.
- At least 12 months of experience in criminal or intentional torts law.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills and strong advocacy skills.
- Experience with conducting litigation in Court in front of a Magistrate.
- Ability to rapidly acquire knowledge regarding the applicable law and be able to research legal issues as required.
- Sound judgment and outstanding analytical skills.
- Strong commercial acumen and pragmatic approach to all work.
- Proactive and independent attitude and result-oriented approach.
- Flexible, adaptable, willing to challenge the status quo, and able to work as a team to deliver the best possible outcome for the community.
- Ability to present complex legal and other information clearly, accurately and in a way that can be understood by our clients.
- Ability to supervise teams, including PLTs, secondees and junior solicitors, to deliver legal advice.
Please review the full position description attached.