The General Legal Service (GLS) offers legal advice and assistance to adults in the inner-west and southern suburbs of Sydney in relation to a broad range of legal issues.
We can advise on
- Consumer disputes
- Credit and debt including mortgage and car repossession
- Minor criminal matters like traffic fines
- Victims compensation
- Motor vehicle accidents, liability and property damage
- Problems arising from gambling
Who we assist
People aged 18 years and over in the inner-west and southern suburbs of Sydney. Initial advice and information may also be given to community workers and staff of government agencies seeking advice on behalf of their clients. You will need to provide proof of your client’s authority to speak to us. Advice is by appointment only, at one of our advice clinics.
Evening advice clinic
For general civil, minor criminal and employment law issues:
Tuesday & Wednesday evening – 6.30pm – 8.30pm
Daytime advice clinic
For people seeking advice in relation to civil law matters who are unable to attend an evening advice session for reasons such as disability, age or language barrier requiring an interpreter:
Monday – 2pm until 4pm
Thursday – 10am until 1pm
NB: All advice clinics are temporarily running via telephone due to COVID-19.
Our Centre also offers day-time appointments in relation to civil and employment law matters at the following outreach locations:
- Muslim Women’s Association at Lakemba, fortnightly on a Wednesday;
- Fair Work Commission, fortnightly on a Thursday (for employment law only);
- Advance Diversity at Hurstville, on the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month -recommencing from 15 July 2020.
Appointments for these clinics are arranged through the Muslim Women’s Association and Fair Work Commission respectively and through MLC for Advance Diversity.
NB: Outreaches at Muslim Women’s Association and Advance Diversity are temporarily suspended due to COVID-19.
Telephone appointments are offered for people seeking advice in relation to employment law matters, who are unable to attend an evening advice session. To arrange a call-back, submit an online enquiry below or give us a call.