Join our dynamic legal team at Marrickville Legal Centre (MLC) on our Health Justice Partnership (HJP) with Sydney Local Health District. Based in Sydney’s inner-west, and working across NSW, MLC provides free and accessible legal and related services to people who experience social and economic disadvantage.
Marrickville Legal Centre is looking for two (2) motivated PLT volunteers with a demonstrated commitment to social justice, who can volunteer 3 days/week for 60 days.
PLTs are expected to perform two main tasks: intake and paralegal work. Intake includes interviewing clients and taking initial instructions, performing conflict checks, making client appointments, and legal research. Specific tasks relating to the Health Justice PLT Program include:
- Assist with the coordination of the Health Justice Partnership (HJP) with Sydney Local Health District (SLHD);
- Triage clients referred through the HJP with SLHD;
- Attend outreaches with a supervising solicitor at Drug Health Services, Mental Health Services and other SLHD locations;
- Assist with the preparation of legal education seminars for SLHD staff; and
- Assist the supervising solicitor with casework for HJP clients
PLTs are supervised by a solicitor for the duration of their placement. After an orientation period, all PLTs undertake a broad range of information, referral, administrative, and legal work under supervision.
Health Justice Partnership PLT students are asked to work Monday to Wednesday or Wednesday to Friday. Negotiation of days is possible for the right candidate.